Friday, July 1, 2011 | By: Megzarooni

Wildefire: Triple Review

Author: Karsten Knight
Publishing date: July 26th, 2011
ARC recieved from:Simon & Schuster
Reviewer: All

Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm. (Via Shelfari)

Megzarooni's review:
Romance, War, and Gods...oh my! Karsten Knight is sure to make a stunning debut with his eagerly anticipated novel Wildefire. The cover is gorgeous and the novel’s plot is just as appealing. When I read from the description that Wildefire was about a group of teenage gods and goddesses, I honestly started jumping for joy. I love mythology and Karsten’s concept of mixing our modern day society with the destructive powers of the gods is nothing short of enjoyable. His cast of intriguing characters are reincarnations of gods and goddesses from a variety of different cultures, which is a nice change from most of today’s novels. It’s not that I dislike Greek mythology, but it was refreshing to learn about gods and goddesses that I’ve either never heard about or knew little of. Although Karsten’s characters are gods and goddesses, they act like teenagers and believe me, because I’m a teen, when I tell you his depiction of how most of us act couldn’t have been more accurate. Ashline, his main character, and the others are the most comical, witty and mischievous group of teens I’ve had the pleasure of reading about in a YA novel to date. The story itself is amazingly well written and although the first few chapters start off a little slow; the rest of the novel makes up for it with hot romance, fast passed action scenes, and an ending that will blow your mind.

5/5 Broken alarm clocks

Kaependragon's review:
I’ll admit that I knew nothing about this novel until I had received it in the mail but I soon found it to be a pleasant surprise and I finished it within a few sit downs. I love Knight’s writing style! It was easy to get into and he created an environment that was believable. His clever and witty humour was evident throughout the novel and it kept me laughing! One of my favourite things about this novel is the mythology! I like how Knight included gods and goddesses from different cultures—Egyptian, Norse, Polynesian, and a few others! The relationships between characters had nice development and readers will discover why they do what they do and what happened to them in their pasts. It’s rare to come across a well written book that has an interesting plot, connectible characters and a romance that was a few degrees above smokin’! I can’t forget to mention that the tension and sense of danger enlaced in the pages was riveting and blunt to the point of shocking. I honestly cannot wait for the next book! I recommend this novel to anyone who’s looking for a new book that will keep you on the edge of your seat! You guys better be itchin’ for the release of this book because I can assure you, it was worth staying up in the middle of the night just to finish reading it! Prepare to be immersed in a world where no one is who they think they are and the people they love can change like the wind.
4/5 fireballs!

Brittknee's review:
Wildefire is truly a unique and wonderful story. Ashline, Karsten’s main character, definitely surprised me. At first I didn't feel very drawn to her in anyway; she didn't seem to connect well with me. But that surely changed. Ashline’s independence, loyalty and sense of humour lovingly grew on me. She is now one of my favourite characters, ever. The plot also didn't grab my attention right away, but that again surely changed. While reading the first few chapters I didn't feel as if I HAD to know what was going to happen next, but I was curious to see how the plot would develop. This coupled with Karsten’s writing style kept me reading, and I got to the point where I rarely put it down. Overall I surprisingly loved this novel, It’s truly is a wonderful read! I recommend it to anyone!
5/5 All nighters!

0 comments:

Post a Comment