Tuesday, July 12, 2011 | By: Megzarooni

Covers to Gush Over (9)

This week the Lit Monsters decided to gush about weapons that caught the attention of their inner heroines.

Steel by Carrie Vaughn

Fencing, to me, has always been one of my favourite types of combat. The swords are beautiful, its modern form originated in my favourite century, and in some novels it’s portrayed as romantic way to defend a woman’s honour. With all that said I love Carrie Vaughn’s cover for Steel. The model, who we can assume is Steel’s main character Jill, looks just as fierce as she is in the book. The sun reflections of the sword add a magical feel to the cover, which nicely reflects the time travel aspect of the novel. The sword is beautiful, as I stated they are before, and I really enjoyed how they made the title look like the twisted metal of the swords hilt.  

Devils Kiss by Sarwat Chadda

Since this week’s CTGO is all about weapons this cover was one of the first few to pop straight into my mind! The broadsword is pretty kick butt and it shows the plot of the novel pretty well! It's about modern day Knights Templar! I think the model portraying the main character, Billi is absolutely beautiful and does her justice! Plus I'm a sucker for female heroines. I love the wisps of smoke and the feather designed around the bottom corner. What ties it all together is the forest behind her and the figure standing in the sunlight. I love how it adds a bit of mystery and it makes you want to know who the heck the person is! Overall I think this cover deserves to be on this week’s CTGO!

Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund
Diana’s Killer Unicorns series is definitely one that involves a lot of weapons. Knives, Swords, and Bows with arrows are definitely all part of what this week’s CTGO is about. I chose to write about Ascendant’s cover over the other two because I like the sword on this cover much more than the others. The gold detailing on the hilt is very eye catching, especially because they made it look so shiny. I also really like the model they chose for the cover. She looks a lot like how I imagined Astrid would look like.  

The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

I love the sword on Cinda Williams Chima’s cover for The Warrior Heir. The sword’s hilt is beautifully designed. I like how the grip is spiralled and the pommel matches the ends of the guard. The red gem on the pommel is a nice touch too. The black background really makes everything else on the cover pop and I like the detailing triangles they added to the cover’s corners. It adds a nice framing effect.

2 comments:

martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megzarooni said...

Thank you Martha C:

Post a Comment