Monday, May 23, 2011 | By: Megzarooni

Covers to Gush Over (3)

This week, in honor of zombie awareness month, this   CTGO theme is Dystopian & Apocalypse! What does this have to do with zombies you say? Well being a zombie doesn’t always mean you're a dead flesh eating monster. Also,  zombies and apocalypses tend to go hand in hand.  
Wither by Lauren DeStefano


I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more gorgeous and gush worthy cover then Lauren DeStefano’s cover of Wither. It’s honestly my, Megzarooni, favourite book cover to date. I love how elegant the coloring scheme and model positioning are, not to mention the dress is to die for! Where can I get one? The caged bird is very pretty and adds a nice visual use of foreshadowing for the events in the novel. I also like the connected lines, box, and circle patters used on the cover. They really attract the eye and are a wonderful visual description of the novel. Beautiful girl. Wedding ring. Caged bird.

 Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari


At first glance it's easy to see what this book is going to be about. The buildings in the foreground automatically thrust your imagination into overdrive. You start to wonder about how and why the city ended up in ruins. I love how the title is in big, bold and bright yellow font. It contrasts with the dismal blue and grey hues. It also catches the eye and then, brings attention to the two main characters underneath. I adore how the novel is like a little story within itself, it's so intriguing!

Matched by Ally Condie


Ally’s cover for Matched is very simplistic, but that’s what makes it so stunning. Mint is an amazing colour and the gradually darkening silver background is a nice balance for the bright green. I like the lettering used for the book’s title because it fits well with the book’s futuristic setting. Matched is another book that features an excellent use of visual foreshadowing, which is also used on its sequel Crossed.

Divergent by Veronica Roth


The first thing I looked at on this novel is the burning symbol. I love how the glowing red and whips’ of the fire automatically catch the eye. The grey clouds in the background really make the fiery symbol 'pop'. The skyline and swamp area are a nice added touch to represent the feel of the novel. Finally, the title is nice and clean with an appealing silver color that appears to have a slight violet tinge as it progressively darkens downwards. Oh, and who could forget the tagline at the top? "One choice can transform you" sent chills down my spine! Overall I love how such simple colors can create such an eye-catching and appealing cover!

The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld


The Uglies series just recently got new covers...and I love them all. I don’t think any one of the covers is my absolute favourite, so I’ve decided to explain why I love all of them. For started I like that each of the covers shows the most common thing people in today’s society tend to want change or improve about themselves. The new covers really personify the fact that Scott’s books are about people who are brainwashed into thinking they’re hideous Uglies until they turn 16 and get a special operation to turn them into Pretties. Aside from that I love how the makeup they did for the Extras cover matches the nail polish on the cover of Uglies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment