Monday, May 9, 2011 | By: Megzarooni

Covers to Gush Over (1)

This is a new weekly feature on the blog where the Literature Monsters will be talking about seven covers that they enjoy. Each week has its own theme and to start off week one the theme is spring flower(s)!


Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott


Elizabeth’s book is the perfect one to kick off our new weekly feature and this week’s spring flower theme. The cover is amazing. I really like that they played with focal points. The sharpness of the model paired with the unfocused background make the cover look surreal and calming. The Sunflower adds a burst of colour, which is what originally attracted me to the cover. Sunflowers are my favorite and its position on the cover reminds me of the sun and how nice it feels to lie outside and feel the warmth of its rays on your body.

Kissed By An Angel by Elizabeth Chandler



I love Kissed By An Angel’s new cover. The black background makes the pink rose pop and the purple petal tips are a nice added touch. What really made this cover interesting, to me, are the falling petals. It seems as if a few of them were replaced with tiny feathers, which I find rather adorable.

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer



Everything about this cover is appealing. The bright yellow eyes; the soft varying shades of purple; the glittery eye makeup; but the real attention getter is the lilies. Kaypendragon, who picked this cover as her contribution, described it best when she said: The contrast between the white of the calla lilies and the blood draws the eye to the cover. It also gives a subtle hint at the story inside and makes you think about what the bloody Calla lilies could symbolize.

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Smoke, when used right, has a magical way of looking astonishingly beautiful, which is why I love it so much. Well, you can imagine my delight when I saw Jennifer L. Armentrout’s cover of Half-Blood. The use of different shdes of purple is incredible and using smoke to create the Hibiscus flower, if I’m not mistaken, is such a unique idea. The best part about Jennifer’s cover is that it enchantingly harmonizes with Half-Blood’s prequel Daimon and its sequel Pure.

Wildefire by Karsten Knight



I just recently acquired Karsten’s book for review from Simon and Shuster and when I opened the package the first thought I had about the book was “This cover is gorgeous!” I love how in a sea of dark, almost colourless, flowers one is brightly lit and spewing smoke. It’s this kind of center burst of colour that really appeals to me. It’s eye-catching and the flowers look so real. When I first touched the cover I was almost expected the velvet feel of petals. The smoke also adds a stunning visual interest to the cover I realized as my eyes followed its winding path to the top of the page. Whoever designed Karsten’s cover has a new fan.

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky



Brittknee is the one who suggested Awaken for the list and I totally agree with her choice. Katie’s cover is exquisite. I love the antique feel of the cover’s colours and Mason jar. The large pixels surrounding the jar are a great portrayal of the novels futuristic plot. I’m not quite sure what type the flowers within the jar are, but they look like Corn marigold. This type of flower is classified as a weed, but the Awaken cover makes them look captivating.

Shine by Lauren Myracle



Lauren’s cover for shine is amazing. The barren looking land in the background and the leafless tree really enhance the single blooming flower. The blue sky and pink flower coupled with the tan surroundings really complement each other. I think the whole thing looks rather poetic, like a painting someone created to give us glimpse of the struggle the main character in Shine has to go through.

0 comments:

Post a Comment